MPF Conservation specializes in antique furniture restoration, furniture repair, antique upholstered furniture, and traditional woodworking. This page documents wardrobes and clothing storage cabinets.
Queen Marie of Romania’s beautiful wardrobe, right, can be seen in Maryhill’s Queen Marie Collection.
In all cases below, we perform the following details using traditional techniques as needed:
- Disassemble as necessary
- Inspect parts for viability
- Clean all parts as needed
- Repair / re-glue / amend broken parts
- Replicate missing parts
- CHOOSE Finish Method below:
- Historic varnish is amended with several coats of pure shellac and rubbed to patina OR
- Historically accurate varnish coating with combinations of gums, tree resins, oils, waxes and natural earth pigments is applied OR
- Historic painted finish is repaired and amended as needed
McLoughlin House features the
Rosewood and Birds-eye Maple
Veneered Wardrobe, with many more
images than the image shown left.
At the bottom of the page on the Queen Marie Collection from Maryhill Museum is the lovely gilded wardrobe (with more images), shown below.
If you are interested in other wooden objects, see below: