Frank Lloyd Wright designed this home for Evelyn and Ed Gordon in 1957. It was originally located near Wilsonville, Oregon, but was moved near Silverton, Oregon in 2001.
It is now run as a museum, one of the few Wright homes that you can actually tour. Donations to restoring the home are also always welcome!
Although Wright died in 1959, the house was completed to his specifications. He designed the built-in furnishings and it is these that MPFC will document on this page.
Eight Cushions for Library Bench Seat circa 1957-1964
The decorative, highly textured shot warp, boucléd showcover was original to the home. It required repair and preservation along with the degrading period solid latex foam cores. It is unusual in the USA to find original decorative showcover upholstery cloth adorning the historic forms. It is usually through exhaustive excavation and forensic efforts by conservators that fragments of previous coverings and yarns are discovered trapped in stuffing pods or beneath securing tacks.
MPF Conservation applaud the Gordon House for preserving the original fabric chosen by an architect whose attention to every detail in his buildings is legendary.
Traditional hand-weaving repairs were performed to the original orange-red bouclé to reunite damaged warp and weft, including the introduction of fresh color corrected yarns to infill areas of loss.
Fresh latex slabs were laminated over the historic latex core after MPFC excavated portions of the degraded latex elevations which had turned to crumbs.
We also took a piece of the original latex material to be stored as an example of the original latex slab density.